Friday, March 7, 2014

My Life via Social Media

I wanted to give you a life update and figured the best way to do that is to let you in on all of the different social media accounts that are linked to my life at the moment.

First, my classes.

One of the classes I am in this semester is a radio class. Along with the Tuesday night lectures, I get to have my own radio show that streams on the KSFS Media website every Tuesday morning from 10-11am! It is called Tasty Tunes and my co-hosts are DJ CeCe and DJ Des (I'm DJ Marno).

Because of the prevalence of social media for "real-life" radio shows, we are required to run at least one social media account and a blog for our show. We decided to go all out and make an account for every social media site that we are active on in our personal lives. We're on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, and even Mixcloud (for the recordings of our shows). You should definitely check us out Tuesday mornings if you're free or check out our social media pages! It's a pretty fun time.

Another class that has a few social media pages is my Television and Video Production class. We produce the annual BECAFest award show at the end of the school year. I am on the scriptwriting team for the show, so I do not personally run the social media accounts, but if you are interested in finding out more information about it you should definitely visit the BECAFest Facebook and Twitter. Anyone can come to the show for free, but there will be a live stream on the KSFS Media website as well!

Second, my internship.

I recently started interning at Inspirare. They are an ecommerce site that promotes and provides a place for new fashion designers to sell their pieces. They have a magazine that I help with as well. The magazine is available on the Newsstand app through the App store for iPads. Pretty soon, it will be available for iPhones and for Android devices.

I originally got hired as a social media intern to help manage their Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Once the editor-in-chief found out about my studies in electronic media and writing for electronic media, she decided to give me more responsibilities revolved around writing for the blog, writing scripts for their video content on YouTube, and even some of the copy in the magazine!

I published my first Inspirare Facebook post on Monday! It was about the Academy Awards red carpet and the nude trend that I noticed a lot of celebrities wearing. I then tweeted about the Facebook post, and voila! My first Inspirare tweet was born! The most exciting thing that I did this week for Inspirare was my first blog post. I published it last night! It was about my favorite trends seen at New York, London, and Paris Fashion Weeks this year. That post also had a corresponding Facebook post and tweet to promote it.

Third, my personal life!

Social media has been a big part of my life for a while. I am on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, YouTube, and Snapchat. I use social media as a form of entertainment, relaxation, and communication. I would definitely have a much harder time keeping up on what is going on in my friends' lives without social media. This is especially true since starting college; some of my friends I only see a few times every year! One of the first and last things I usually do every day is check my Twitter feed. I try to only follow friends/people/companies that are funny, entertaining, and/or informative. In result of this, my days start and end with something that will either put a smile on my face or let me know about something important that is going on in the world.

As you can see, social media is a part of every aspect of my life, even school and work! It just goes to show how important it is to be social media savvy in this day and age. There are job opportunities that require you to be able to tweet, post, Instagram, etc. effectively! I know this is extremely true for the media industry, so I am lucky that I got started in the social media game early on. A few of the internships I applied to for this semester required to me to include links to some of my social media accounts! I've also been to symposiums with guest speakers that work in the media industry, and they always say how important it is to have social media accounts that have appropriate content that relates to (or at least does not reflect badly on) the jobs that you want. Employers view potential employees' social media accounts in order to get a feel for who you are and what you can bring to the company. So crazy!

Well that's my ramble on social media and how much it encompasses my life! Thanks for reading!

P.S. Comment down below your thoughts on social media's growing presence in the job market and job application process! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment